Tuesday 9 February 2010

Last Night's Formal Hall 08/02 with Kermit and Miss Piggy

Last night's formal hall guests were served a Greek salad with a difference. The difference being that it was an amuse bouche, and served in a shot glass. Yet again, we looked to Terrines and Verrines for the inspiration behind this little starter.
To properbly begin the meal we served gremolata crusted salmon on rocket sauce with aioli.
 Aioli is a French sauce made by mixing lemon, eggs, garlic, and olive oil into a smooth, creamy mixture resembling mayonnaise. It originates from Provençal cuisine, where it is served with meat, fish, and vegetables, and the distinctive garlicky sauce has also been adopted by other nations to add zest to otherwise ordinary foods.
To follow the salmon, and to help celebrate Green week, we served supreme of free-range chicken with Parmesan, pea and spinach risotto. The dish was finished with a red pepper syrup.
Pembroke has the distinction of being the first, (and only) College to serve both free-range chicken and egg.

Last night's sweet reminded me of an old song by Harry Nilsson 
 Put The Lime In The Coconut
Brother bought a coconut
He bought it for a dime.
His sister had another
She paid it for the lime.
.
She put the lime in the coconut
she drank them both up.
x3

she put the lime in the coconut
she called the doctor, woke him up, and said
"Doctor, ain't there nothing I can take"
I said, "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?"
I said, "Doctor ain't there nothing I can take"
I said, "Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?"

the rest of the lyrics can be found here
http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/h/harrynilsson5506/putthelimeinthecoconut226238.html
Below is a link to kermit the frog and Miss Piggy singing this famous song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wg_L0wGTyA

Coconut Panna Cotta with Lime Sorbet and mango Sauce
T'boftë mire!

2 comments:

  1. If I'm not mistaken, this was maybe the same night as, and a similar menu to, what was served at the Eclectic Subjects Formal...and it was absolutely delicious! It's always so exciting when we have a cooked starter ;) especially such a delicious piece of salmon...I'm vegetarian so didn't have the chicken, but it does look incredible (all those sitting around me who did have it ate it so quickly I didn't get a proper chance to see it till now).

    The risotto at the ES Formal was delicious as well, but it was definitely the dessert that was the highlight for me (which it usually never is, as I'm not a big dessert person)...it had so many elements of perfection: coconut, mango, lime!!! It was so incredible I traded half of my lime sorbet for the pannacotta of the person next to me ;)

    Thank you so much for yet another mouth-watering formal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like the desert.

    ReplyDelete